Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Turkey ragu recipe

turkey ragu, adapted from Whole Grains for Busy People
Monday afternoon I made the mistake of composing a to-do list.  Seeing the list prompted a full-blown anxiety attack.  I had no appetite, felt very sick every time I forced food down my throat, and walked around mumbling weird things to myself for about 48 hours.  Apparently this was not outwardly apparent, as my advisor said I seemed nonplussed about my impending dissertation defense.  I was plussed, alright.

But today was better.  I've accomplished almost every thing on my list (or decided that it didn't really need to be done), and my appetite came back.  I still couldn't dedicate much time to dinner, though, so I thought it was the perfect time to pull out Lorna Sass's Whole Grains for Busy People.  I just wanted something to fill me up, but this dish (adapted from her beef ragu recipe) blew my mind.  The pasta/turkey/tomato mixture was good alone, but the feta and lemon zest on top made it phenomenal.  But the best part is that you cook the pasta in the sauce, so you only get one pan dirty.  It was perfect for tonight.


Turkey ragu (adapted from Whole Grains for Busy People)
(Printable version)

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb ground turkey (or beef or chicken)
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
3 Tbsp tomato paste
1/3 cup red wine
3 cups water
1 large can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp salt
8 oz. chunky brown rice pasta (I used fusilli)
2 medium zucchini, diced
3 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
zest of one lemon

Heat oil over medium heat in a large saute pan, add onion, and saute until tender.  Add garlic, cook for an additional minute, and then stir in turkey, thyme, and rosemary.  Break turkey up, and cook until it's no longer pink, stirring frequently.  Then add tomato paste and cook for another minute, stirring well.  Pour in wine, and once it evaporates (a minute or two later), add water, tomatoes, and salt.  Bring to a boil over high heat, add pasta, and let cook on medium high for 5 min.  Then stir in zucchini and continue to cook until pasta and zucchini are tender and sauce is thick (about 10 min), stirring frequently.  In a small bowl, combine feta and lemon zest, and sprinkle it over the ragu.  Serves 6.

3 comments:

Michelle @ Find Your Balance said...

I know what you mean about to-do lists. I love 'em but we're on a bit of a hiatus this week so I can chill out :-)

Leah said...

Hooray for one-pot meals!

Katie said...

Michelle - It definitely helps to take a week off here and there. That's what I'm doing now :)

Leah - most definitely!!