Thursday, November 5, 2009

Parsnip mashed potatoes recipe

parsnip mashed potatoes
I was first introduced to the idea of making mixed-root vegetable mashes by my dad.  While I was visiting my parents several years ago, he made a version of the Swedish dish rotmos that combined rutabagas, turnips, and potatoes.  Earlier this week, I had a flashback to rotmos when I was trying to figure out what to do with parsnips, and decided to try a combo of mashed potatoes and parsnips.  As luck would have it, I was flipping through cookbooks and found a recipe for this exact thing in The Whole Foods Market Cookbook.  I knew that this was a sign that this book should be November's cookbook of the month (sorry I never got around to picking one for October!).

Weekend Herb BloggingI adapted the recipe some because of what I had on hand (the original recipe called for three times more potatoes than parsnips), but it was still wonderful.  It had the great flavor of potatoes, with a slight sweetness from the parsnips.  I did learn one important lesson: boiling parsnips creates a nauseating aroma, but they taste good in the end.  I promise it'll be worth it... just stay out of the kitchen while they're cooking.  Normally I roast parsnips, but this was a nice alternative for a change of pace.  I'm submitting this to Weekend Herb Blogging, which is celebrating its 4th anniversary this week!!  I'm very glad that Kalyn accidentally started this event, and I'm also grateful that Haalo from Cook (almost) Anything At Least Once does such a great job organizing it.  Check out the rules and send Haalo your entries (she's even giving away a copy of The Spice and Herb Bible this week!).

Parsnip mashed potatoes (adapted from The Whole Foods Market Cookbook)
(Printable version)

1 pound parsnips
1 pound russet potatoes
2 Tbsp butter
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup milk, warmed

Peel the parsnips and chop them into small pieces, removing the tough inner core (I usually chop them lengthwise into quarters, remove the core, and then cut the quarters crosswise into smaller pieces).  Chop the potatoes into pieces about the same size as the parsnips (peel them if you want, but I prefer to leave it on).  Place the potatoes and parsnips in a large pot, cover them with water, and bring to a boil.  Turn the heat down to medium and let them continue to boil, uncovered, until everything is very tender (about 20 min).  Then drain the water off and mash the veggies with a potato masher.  Add the butter, season with salt and pepper, and add milk until it reaches your desired consistency.  Serves 5.

3 comments:

lisaiscooking said...

I love combining other vegetables with mashed potatoes, but I haven't tried parsnips. Sounds great. I'll have to try this soon.

Charles said...

Katie, I made a bee line for this when I saw it as I frequently combine other root veggies in a potato mash. Sometimes I use buttermilk instead of milk or cream. Simple is good as you point out. Nice site — Congratulations!

Katie said...

Lisa - Definitely give it a shot. It's different than other mashed combos that I've tried, and I really enjoyed it.

Charles - I like the idea of using buttermilk (I hate the stuff by itself, but it can be magical when cooking). I didn't happen to have any, but I may try this next time. I'm glad you enjoy the site!!