Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Lentil, sausage, and spinach soup recipe

Lentil, sausage, and spinach soup
I'm engaged. (Calm down, Mom.  Put down the phone.) You see, for the past few months I've been joking that I'm dating my dissertation.  It's scary how far I can take this analogy, but I'll stick to the essentials.  We had our honeymoon phase for the first couple of years, and then we sank into a love/hate relationship for the past few (let's just say that hate predominated... but I knew that I was in it for the long haul).  I cried, I laughed (the voles can be extremely adorable when they're not trying to bite you), and we got into a few screaming matches.  And today, it finally proposed (I finished collecting my data)!  I know that there's a lot of work ahead in preparation for the big day but, barring extremely weird circumstances, it'll happen.  I will get those three precious letters tacked onto the end of my name.  Life is good.

You might be wondering what this has to do with soup.  You see, when I get really close to finishing a project, I neglect all desires of food or water because I'm so motivated to get the work done.  But not today.  I was excited to pry myself away from the microscope and have leftovers of this soup because I loved it so much.  I love lentil soups and stews in general, but I think that this is the best one that I've ever made.  It's simple, but it works brilliantly.  If you're looking for a filling and comforting way to warm up this winter, I have your answer.

Lentil, sausage, and spinach soup (adapted from The Whole Foods Market Cookbook)
(Printable version)

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 carrot, sliced thinly
4 oz. spicy bulk sausage (or links with casing removed)
1 bay leaf
6 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup brown lentils
1/4 cup brown rice
5 oz fresh or frozen spinach

Heat oil over medium heat in a large saucepan.  Add onion, garlic, and carrot and saute until the veggies are tender (about 5 min).  Stir in the sausage, break it up into small pieces, and let it brown for about 5 min.  Then add the bay leaf and the stock, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium.  Stir in the lentils and brown rice and continue to simmer for about 50 min, or until the rice and lentils are tender.  Stir in frozen spinach after about 35 min of simmering time, or fresh spinach after 45 min.  Serves 4.

6 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

Well congratulations. I quit in the middle of my master's degree and that was the end of that, so I do admire people who stick with it. The soup looks pretty great too!

Marisa said...

This soup looks amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Tasty Eats At Home said...

Congratulations! I know it has taken a lot of hard work to get this far. and this soup looks wonderful.

Katie said...

Thanks, everyone!!

FeedMe said...

Wow, now this is happiness on a winter evening.

Thanks for opening me up to all the great opportunities to cook good food in Lansing; I found your blog before moving here for school, and it was not only comforting, but inspiring to find so much good local food featured.

Please keep up the great work!
Miriam

Katie said...

Miriam - It's so great to hear from other Lansing-area people who are also interested in supporting local food! I'm glad that my posts have been helpful, and let me know if you have any questions or find new an exciting sources for food around here.