Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Hot spinach dip recipe

Hot spinach dip
This weekend I was able to relax for the first time in months.  I honestly didn't know how to react at first, but then I ventured into the kitchen.  I decided that I needed to make a ton of food for the Halloween party that I was planning to attend, not thinking that everybody else had that same thought (we ended up with a TON of food).  I'm a veggie fanatic, so I decided to bring veggies and dip.  Want to try a fun (but scary) experiment?  Try searching for a spinach dip that doesn't involve onion soup mix.  Luckily Food Blog Search came to my rescue.

This dip is amazing.  It was best hot, and I "tested" it many times before I left for the party.  It was still great even after it had cooled down, and I continued to eat quite a bit throughout the night.  Apparently others agreed, because I heard several people talking about it, and a lot of it was gone.  It's creamy and cheesy, but not at all greasy, which is my main problem with most cheesy dips.  The next time I need a dip, I know where to turn.

Hot spinach dip (adapted from White on Rice Couple)
(Printable version)

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 can (8 oz.) water chestnuts, coarsely chopped
10 oz. frozen spinach, thawed and drained
salt and pepper to taste
1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup plain yogurt

Heat oil over medium heat in a medium skillet, and then add onion and garlic and saute until tender.  Stir in water chestnuts and spinach, season with salt and pepper, and cook for a few minutes.  Add the cream cheese, parmesan, milk, and yogurt to the skillet and stir until cheese melts.  Then reduce heat to low and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 min.  Makes about 6 cups.

2 comments:

Tasty Eats At Home said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE spinach dip! Sounds wonderful. You might consider linking this up to our Holiday Blog Fest! Amy at SimplySugarandGlutenFree.com is hosting the appetizers round on December 3. You can check it out and enter this, you could win a prize! Yay for prizes!

Katie said...

Alta - Thanks for reminding me! I will definitely add this link to the appetizers round.