Friday, October 30, 2009

Quinoa, tomato, kale, and garlic-stuffed acorn squash recipe

Quinoa, tomatoes, kale, and garlic-stuffed acorn squash
As soon as I got back from Chicago last week (more on that in the next few days), my friend Katie (yes, it gets confusing) sent me this message: "Now that you're back, you should roast some squash and stuff it with quinoa, garlic, tomato, and cheese. Dan just did this and it is blowing my mind! Gluten-free, delicious-full."  Over the many years that we've been friends, we've shared many great food experiences and I definitely trust her taste buds.  Ok, so perhaps regularly consuming an entire Hungry Howie's pizza between the two of us doesn't qualify as a "great food experience" to some, but it always seemed like a good idea at the time (who am I kidding, it would still be fun if it wouldn't make me sick).

Weekend Herb BloggingSo, I used Katie's suggestions with a few tweaks here and there, and it blew my mind too.  She said that Dan used delicata squash, but I had an acorn squash lying around calling out to be stuffed.  I'm sure that any winter squash would work, so use your favorite.  I also added some kale because I had a bunch that needed to be used.  I'm submitting this to Weekend Herb Blogging, which I'm hosting this week.  Haalo from Cook (almost) Anything At Least Once organizes this event, and check out the rules so that you can participate too.  Send me those entries!!

Quinoa, tomato, kale, and garlic-stuffed acorn squash (adapted from Katie and Dan)
(Printable version)

1 acorn squash, halved through the stem ends
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
1 bunch kale, stems discarded and leaves torn into pieces
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
salt to taste
1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
2 Tbsp parmesan cheese

Place squash cut side down in a small baking dish.  Bake at 400 until the squash is tender (about 40 min).  While squash is cooking, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  When oil is hot, saute garlic, basil, oregano, rosemary, and red pepper for a minute or two, until they're very fragrant.  Then add kale, toss well, and cook until kale is tender (about 5 min).  Add tomatoes and salt and cook for another minute or so.  Stir the cooked quinoa into the kale and tomatoes, and then flip the squash over and stuff it with this mixture.  Top each half with 1 Tbsp cheese and then bake at 350 until the cheese melts (5-10 min).  Serves 2.

5 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

This sounds great! Just saved it as a gluten-free Thanksgiving option.

Tasty Eats At Home said...

Mmm, stuffed squash! Yum! I just stuffed an acorn squash a few days ago, following Heidi's recipe on 101 Cookbooks, with a corn and scallion pudding. This is an entirely different, completely delicious vegetarian meal! Yum!

Katie said...

Kalyn - I'm so glad that you like it! I hadn't even thought of this as a possible dish for Thanksgiving, but I might consider adding it to my menu...

Alta - I noticed Heidi's recipe the other day, and I'm sure that it was fabulous. I bought 3 more acorn squash yesterday at the farmers' market, so I'll have to try that out with one of them.

Barb said...

This sound delicious!! Nothing to give me a stomach ache....yeah!! Sure to appeal to my vegetarian nieces on Thanksgiving!

Katie said...

Barb - I'm glad you (and your stomach!) like the sound of it!