Tuesday, October 6, 2009

CSA round-up week 8

 CSA round-up week 8
Things are certainly changing around here.  It's crazy to think that a few short months ago I had strawberries coming out of my ears.  It seems like decades ago, although I am transported back to spring every time I open my freezer.  My last CSA share consisted of chard, cabbage, yellow squash, eggplant, okra, a melon, potatoes, and lots of tomatoes (both heirlooms and "regular").

The squash went into this delicious summer squash and jalapeno spoonbread:
 summer squash and jalapeno spoonbread

I combined the potatoes and cabbage with sausage for an amazing soup:
cabbage, potato, and sausage soup

broiled tomatoes with parmesan

The second I arrived to pick up my share, Amy informed me that there was okra and whispered, "you can take more than one basket."  I love that they know my food obsessions :).  I decided to only take a single basket because part of my mission in life is to spread the okra love.  I sauteed it with a few tomatoes, corn, and zucchini. 
 corn, okra, zucchini, and tomato saute

I'm pretty sure that there's nothing better than grilled eggplant, so of course that's what I did with mine.
 grilled eggplant

And, finally, I sauteed the chard with a tomato and topped it with a fried egg.  It was a delicious and fast dinner!
 sauteed chard and tomato with fried egg

I'm trying not to think about the fact that my CSA will soon be over, but I'm excited that it's actually a week longer than I originally thought.  I've become so spoiled this summer that it's going to be a difficult adjustment to shop for produce at the store.  And who will encourage my love for weird, sometimes slimy vegetables??

3 comments:

Julia said...

I'm very impressed that you only took one basket of okra! I'm not sure I could be that magnanimous. I'm all about sharing the okra love -- but I take a different strategy... I cook lots of it and then guilt people into tasting it.

Everything looks great, so glad you had a successful CSA season.

Tasty Eats At Home said...

I could totally get in to that okra dish. And those broiled tomatoes. And that fried egg! Yum!

Katie said...

Julia - It was a tough decision. I had my hand on the second basket before I really made up my mind. Your strategy might be better, though.

Luckily this wasn't actually the last share (I realize that the post was says that, but I really meant my "previous" share). I'm savoring it a bit longer!!

Alta - They were all delicious, and I wish that I had more left!