Saturday, August 15, 2009

Greek shrimp and tomatoes topped with feta recipe

Greek shrimp and tomatoes topped with feta, adapted from The Olive and the CaperWhile flipping through this month's cookbook of the month, one recipe made the "must make" list: classic shrimp and tomatoes baked with feta. There's something about perfectly-cooked shrimp that makes me excessively happy. For years, anytime I stepped foot in a seafood restaurant, there was a 99.9% chance that I would order something with shrimp. My selections vary a bit more nowadays, but sometimes I regret not sticking with my favorite ocean critter. I've been cooking more shrimp lately, ever since I discovered the Shrimp Farm Market, a shrimp farm just down the road from me. It's even easier for me to buy it now that they have a stand at my favorite farmers' market on Saturdays. With shrimp on hand and some leftover feta that needed to be used, this recipe became a reality.

Greek shrimp and tomatoes topped with feta (adapted from "The Olive and the Caper" by Susanna Hoffman)

2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 large tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 Tbsp brandy
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp fresh dill
freshly ground black pepper
1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
4 oz feta cheese, crumbled

Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add onion and garlic, and cook for a minute. Stir in tomatoes and continue to cook until they are tender (about 5 min). Add wine, brandy, tomato paste, dill, and pepper, and let cook until tomatoes are completely falling apart (about 10 min). Add the shrimp and stir just until they start to turn pink. Then top the shrimp and tomatoes with feta and keep over heat until feta begins to melt. Serve over rice. Serves 3.

This dish made my night. It definitely caused me to have flashbacks to the time I spent in Greece, even though I don't think that I had seafood while I was there (what was I thinking?). The tomatoes soaked up all of the beautiful flavors of the wine, dill, and garlic, and were the perfect compliment to the shrimp and feta. I was worried that the shrimp would become overcooked while the feta was melting, but they weren't chewy at all. I also love that it took almost no time to make. It was the star of a perfect summer meal!

4 comments:

Candice said...

I gave this book to my son, an avid cook, after I found many favorites using this cookbook. He called me last night to tell me I HAD to make this recipe. So, tomorrow, I will shop for the ingredients. You give it high marks, so I can hardly wait. Today, I will try the Fish (snapper) Plaki Style, and use less lemon, per your suggestion. Other favorites from this book are Giant Beans Plaki-style with honey and Mint; Skewers of Shrimp Bathed in Tarragon & Fruity Olive Oil; Greek Village Salad; Black Eyed Pea Salad (Oh really good now that tomatoes are "in"). Great cookbook. Love your blog. I'm also Gluten Free and a Michigander.

Katie said...

Candice - There are so many recipes in this book that I want to try, and I appreciate your suggestions!! I've been trying not do overdo it this month so that I don't get tired of Greek food, but I'm planning to make the avgolemono in the next few days. I will also have to get to the black eyed pea salad while tomatoes are still around. I'm glad you like my blog, too! I will never get tired of hearing that :).

Candice said...

Katie - re: black eyed pea salad--I used frozen black eyed peas, cooked them till soft, but still w/a bit of "tooth". Quicker than dried, and readily available in the grocer's aisle (Meijer here).

Katie said...

Thanks for the tip, Candice! Frozen peas will definitely make that recipe easier. I happen to have a bunch of black-eyed peas in my freezer (I cooked up a big batch a few months ago and froze the leftovers), so I'll probably use those this time.