Sunday, July 19, 2009

Swiss chard scramble recipe

Swiss chard scrambleI came home with a ton of greens from my CSA share this week, and I wanted to try something new. I also had some eggs that needed to be used, so I decided that I should make a frittata. As I poured the eggs into the pan, I quickly realized that my chard:eggs ratio was way too high, so I ended up turning this into a scramble. It's not quite as pretty as a frittata, but it worked.

Swiss chard scramble

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 bunch chard, leaves and stems chopped separately
4 eggs
1 tsp turmeric
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Saute onions until tender, and then add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for another minute. Add chard stems and let cook until tender (about 5 min). Then stir in chard leaves, cover skillet, and let cook until chard is wilted (about 3 min). While chard is cooking, whisk together eggs, turmeric, and salt and pepper. Pour eggs into the skillet and stir with the chard until eggs are cooked (about 4 min). Serves 2-3.

Even though I had to deviate from my original plan, it still tasted great. If you've never tried turmeric in your eggs, I highly recommend it. In fact, since I discovered this combo last fall, I don't think I've cooked eggs without this fabulous herb. Best of all, this was extraordinarily quick to make.

No comments: