Thursday, May 28, 2009

Cantaloupe, mozzarella, and mint salad

cantaloupe, mozzarella, and mint salad, adapted from Wheat Free Meat FreeI saw this salad a few weeks ago, and knew that I had to try it out. It combines several things that I would have never thought to put together, which always grabs my attention. Plus, Dad had a ton of fresh mozzarella and Athena cantaloupes are just coming into season in Florida, so it seemed like the perfect time to try it out.

Cantaloupe, mozzarella, and mint salad (adapted from Wheat Free Meat Free)

1 cantaloupe, cut into bite-size pieces
8 oz. fresh mozzarella, cut into small chunks
juice of 1 small lemon
1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Serves 6.

I liked this, and Dad said it was his favorite of the salads that I made for Memorial Day (because it was so different). The fresh taste of the mozzarella and cantaloupe meshed well together, and the mint added to this nicely. It's incredibly simple to make, and was a good addition to the meal. I also want to try this with honeydew (as Wheat Free Meat Free's recipe describes).

3 comments:

Julia said...

That's so interesting. I can see the mint and the melon, and the melon with the mozz. but all together. I'll have to try this!

Anonymous said...

I've got a watermelon and some too-salty string cheese... Was actually thinking of making a salad!

Katie said...

Julia - it's an interesting combo, and definitely worth a shot!

Anon - that could be an interesting combo, too!