Thursday, April 30, 2009

Pinto bean, avocado, tomato, and wheat berry salad

**This is not a gluten-free recipe and was posted before I eliminated gluten from my diet. Brown or wild rice would be a great substitute for the wheat berries if you want a gluten-free option.**

pinto bean, avocado, tomato, and wheat berry salad adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen and elliemay.comWhile Mom was visiting a few weeks ago, we planned to make quinoa and black bean salad. We got carried away with our menu planning, though, and never got around to making it. In the meantime, I remembered Kalyn's pinto bean salad recipe, and that sounded great as well. So, I ended up combining the two and throwing in some wheat berries for good measure.

Pinto bean, avocado, tomato, and wheat berry salad (adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen and Elliemay.com)

1 2/3 cups cooked pinto beans (or 1 can)
1 medium avocado, diced
1 large tomato, chopped
1 cup cooked wheat berries
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
juice of 2 limes
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Serves 3-4.

I loved this. The avocado gives it a creamy texture and helps hold the salad together, and the flavor is great. The wheat berries provided the chewiness that I have come to love. After a long day of surgeries yesterday, this was the perfect quick and delicious dish to finish off the day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, I'm so glad I stumbled upon your blog, because I've been trying to find ways to experiment with all sort of different whole grains! I'll be "stealing" some of your recipes for sure!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Hi Katie -- welcome to Adopt-a-Blogger. I'm blog mom to three bloggers, and have enjoyed working with them over the past couple of years. I know you'll enjoy working with Julia. I'm so glad she's introduced me to your blog!

Julia said...

That looks like a great combination! I always have black beans in the house, so I probably would use those instead of the pintos.... and with cinco de mayo coming up... hmm....

Katie said...

burpandslurp - I'm glad that you like my recipes! I've really enjoyed experimenting with whole grains - I'm still amazed at the variety that I never knew existed! If you're looking for a good cookbook, I highly recommend Lorna Sass's "Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way" (and you'll notice a lot of her recipes on here). Have fun experimenting!

Lydia - I'm glad that Julia directed you here! I've been enjoying your blog for a while now, and it's exciting to see the great chain of mentors for Adopt-a-Blogger.

Julia - I totally forgot that Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner. This would be perfect! I'm sure this would be great with black beans - I use those far more than any other kind, but am trying to increase variety. Now I'll have to come up with something else to make on Tuesday :)