Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Macaroni and cheese with tofu

macaroni and cheese with tofu, adapted from Moosewood Restaurant New ClassicsThe end of the month is almost upon us, so I figured that I would choose one more recipe from the cookbook of the month. As soon as I saw this recipe, I knew I had to try it. I love mac and cheese (who doesn't??), but often the massive amounts of cheese aren't very friendly to the old digestive system. I figured this would be a good compromise.

Macaroni and cheese with tofu (adapted from "Moosewood Restaurant New Classics")

6 oz. small pasta (use brown rice pasta for gluten-free)
6 oz. silken tofu
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used muenster, but cheddar would be ideal)
2 Tbsp grated parmesan
1 tsp yellow mustard
1 garlic clove, minced
pinch of salt
freshly ground pepper
pinch of turmeric
pinch of nutmeg
3 Tbsp chopped onion
2 Tbsp minced parsley

Cook pasta according to package directions. While pasta cooks, combine tofu through nutmeg in a blender, and blend until smooth. Mix pasta, sauce, onion, and parsley in a large bowl. Pour into a lightly oiled 1 qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 for 30 min. Uncover and bake for an additional 5 min. Serves 3.

This was really good, but it's not your traditional mac and cheese - it's more of a pasta with light cheesy sauce. Plus, I suppose I can't call it mac and cheese since I didn't actually use macaroni :). I liked the bit of crunch that the onions provide - it was a nice contrast to the creamy sauce. Next time I'll definitely go out of my way to use cheddar for something a bit stronger, but the muenster was still good.

I was a big fan of Moosewood Restaurant New Classics before this month, and I'm an even bigger fan now. It has introduced me to some phenomenal recipes, particularly the sweet potato and black bean hash, spinach and ricotta gnocchi, and Indian skillet black-eyed peas. I enjoyed the mushroom and pecan burgers, roasted veggies over pasta, and bulgur with spinach and dill quite a bit, too. The jicama and orange salad would be fabulous with a few changes, and I'm glad that it reminded me of this crunchy veggie. And finally, this book inspired me to use caramelized onions to make one of my favorite pizzas. The recipes are fairly simple, but result in great vegetarian dishes. And even if you're a big meat eater, you probably wouldn't miss the meat in most of these dishes (or you could always throw some in if you want). There are a ton more recipes that I want to try from this book, but it's time for a new book for May. I have a feeling that one of my other Moosewood books may get a chance in the spotlight before too long, though!

6 comments:

Julia said...

I love that you have a "cookbook of the month." What a great idea! Mac and Cheese looks good too... seems much lighter and healthier with the tofu and yogurt. I had the 'regular' version last week which was delicious, but heavy.

Katie said...

I really like picking a cookbook for the month. I've accumulated a ton of books since I got really interested in cooking, and this has been a wonderful way to really explore each one without being overwhelmed by the sheer number of possible recipes.

Reeni said...

I've heard good things about this cookbook before. The mac 'n' cheese looks great. I bet the silken tofu made it nice and creamy!

Katie said...

Reeni - I highly recommend this book (in case you couldn't already tell :)). I like their other books too, but I think this is my favorite. This was definitely creamy - I need to remember to use tofu more often for things like this.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE mac'n'cheese! (ie testing 1 2 3)

Katie said...

I'm glad that the comments are fixed - thanks for checking!