Monday, March 9, 2009

Braised cauliflower with curry and yogurt

Braised cauliflower with curry and yogurt from Vegetables Every Day by Jack Bishop
I've decided to pick a cookbook (or 2, in this case) to use each month. I'll cook other things, too, but I want to try to make a couple of things from that book each week. I'm not sure what I'm going to do once I get to my specialty books, but I have quite a few general cookbooks to get through first. The first book for March (or what remains of it) is "Vegetables Every Day" by Jack Bishop. This book is great. It has a chapter for each vegetable (even relatively obscure ones) and has info on when it's available and how to select it, store it, and cook it. Then it has several recipes (often with variations on each one). I've made quite a few things from this book, including spinach with brown butter and pecans and shredded brussels sprouts with balsamic vinegar and pine nuts. Most of the recipes use ingredients that I already have, so I often buy a bunch of veggies that look good and come home and flip through this book to figure out what to do with them. That's exactly what happened with this cauliflower.

Braised cauliflower with curry and yogurt (adapted from "Vegetables Every Day")

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
1 onion, sliced thinly
1 tsp curry powder
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, minced
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add the cauliflower and onion and cook until the florets are lightly browned (about 8 min). Stir in curry powder and cook another minute. Mix yogurt and water together and add to pan. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until cauliflower is tender (about 10 min). Stir in cilantro, salt, and pepper. If there's liquid in the pan, let simmer uncovered until it evaporates. Serves 3.

This is my new favorite cauliflower recipe. It was delicious! It definitely has Indian flavors, but they're not overwhelming. In fact, I ate this with my eggplant bake and somehow they worked together. Cookbook of the month is off to a good start!

No comments: