Sunday, March 29, 2009

Andean pinto bean and butternut squash stew

Andean pinto bean, quinoa and butternut squash stew, adapted from The New York Times
After a few days of warmer weather, it got fairly cold again. On one hand I'm completely sick of winter and can't wait for summer, but I also enjoy soups and stews that are essential for staying warm. I figured I should make one to make the most of the less-than-desirable weather. I was excited to stumble upon this recipe because it combined two of my favorite things - beans and winter squash.

Andean pinto bean and butternut squash stew (adapted from The New York Times)

1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1/2 Tbsp paprika
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup (about 1/2 can) diced tomatoes
4 cups water
4 cups cooked pinto beans (from about 1/2 lb dried beans, or 2 cans)
1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed into bite-sized pieces
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup quinoa, rinsed well
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 tsp tabasco sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil over medium heat in large pot. Add onion and cook until tender, about 5 min. Add paprika and garlic and cook for an additional minute. Stir in tomatoes, and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated (5-10 min). Add water and beans and bring to a boil. Stir in squash and bay leaf, reduce heat, cover, and let simmer until squash is tender (about 30 min). Add quinoa and continue to cook about 20 min, or until quinoa is done (there will no longer be a white dot in the middle of each grain). Stir in parsley and tabasco and season with salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 5 min. Serves 5.

This was delicious, and somewhat different than your typical bean soups/stews. I love pinto beans, but I usually forget about them and end up using black or kidney beans. I'm glad
I discovered this recipe that was perfect for them. Next time I'll add more quinoa because I really couldn't tell that it was there, but otherwise it was fabulous. I really liked the pairing of the beans and squash, and they gave the stew a smooth texture as they cooked and began to disintegrate.
My Legume Love Affair, ninth helping
I'm submitting this post to My Legume Love Affair. This blogging event was started by Susan from The Well-Seasoned Cook, and is hosted by Laurie from Mediterranean Cooking in Alaska this month (see complete list of hosts). I'm glad that I can include my reconnection with pinto beans in this great event!

No comments: