Monday, February 23, 2009

Tilapia with cornmeal chipotle crust

Tilapia with cornmeal chipotle crust, adapted from Moosewood Restaurant New Classics
I was in the mood for some fish, and already had some in the freezer. Usually I saute tilapia with simple herbs or spices (Italian herb blend or Greek seasoning are my favorites), but I was up for doing something a little different this time.

Tilapia with cornmeal chipotle crust (adapted from Moosewood Restaurant New Classics)

3 tilapia fillets (about 3 oz each)
1 Tbsp canned chipotles in adobo sauce, minced
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1/8 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup cornmeal

Combine chipotles, oil, lemon juice, garlic, thyme, and salt in a shallow bowl. Place cornmeal on a plate. Rinse and dry fish, dip in the sauce (making sure to cover on all sides), then dredge in cornmeal. Place prepared fish in baking dish and bake at 375 for 20 min, or until fish flakes easily. Serves 3.

I liked the kick that the chipotles gave the fish. It was the perfect amount of spice - definitely noticeable, but not overpowering. I wasn't too impressed with the cornmeal coating, but I think that's because I used a medium-grind cornmeal. It would have been much better with a finely ground meal that could have adhered better to the fish and wouldn't have been so crunchy. Oh well, you live and learn.

I think that I'm also getting tired of frozen fish. It's not bad, but it's nothing like what you get at a seafood restaurant that's right on the coast. Perhaps I need to make more trips to the ocean to satisfy my cravings :)

No comments: