Sunday, February 8, 2009

Spinach with brown butter and pecans

Spinach with brown butter and pecans, adapted from Vegetables Every Day by Jack Bishop
It's no secret that I love spinach. I love it raw, I love it cooked, and I would love it any other way it could exist. So, here's another simple spinach recipe that I love.

Spinach with Brown Butter and Pecans (adapted from "Vegetables Every Day" by Jack Bishop)

1 lb spinach leaves
2 Tbsp pecans, chopped
1.5 Tbsp butter

Bring large pot of water to a boil, add spinach (be sure to get it all submerged in the water), and cook until spinach just wilts (about 2 min). Drain spinach and set aside. Toast pecans in dry skillet over medium heat until they get fragrant (about 5 min). Remove pecans from skillet, reduce heat to medium-low, and add butter. Continue to cook butter until it turns brown (about 4 min). Then add spinach and pecans to skillet, stir well, and cook for a minute until spinach is warm. Serves 3.

It's light, fast, and goes well with Italian-themed dishes. Next time I would probably use more nuts for a bit more crunch, and I may try other nuts just to mix it up (the original recipe called for walnuts).

No comments: