Saturday, December 13, 2008

Wheat berry salad with cranberries, apples, and pecans

I'm going to a holiday party tomorrow night and need to bring something, but it has to be something I can make in advance because I'll have to go straight from the lab. I was looking around for recipes, and thought that this would be a great time to try out the wheat berries that Dad got me for my birthday. I used a recipe for wheat berry salad as a guide and went to town. After the berries were cooked, I tasted a few to make sure they were done, but I couldn't stop eating them plain! Anyway, I threw everything else with them, and it's really good. It's a good thing I'm really full from eating the oranges after I juiced them because otherwise I might not have any salad left to bring to the party. I bet it will be even better tomorrow once the flavors have gelled together.

I'm glad I like the wheat berries because I picked up some that were on the clearance rack at the natural foods store (I'm not sure why they were on clearance, and I'm sure they won't be as good as the ones Dad got, but they'll do). I'll have to experiment more with them (next on the docket might be a risotto...).

No comments: