Thursday, December 18, 2008

Meatloaf with oats

The beginning of this week was brutally cold (highs in the teens with wind chills in the single digits).  That, combined with a stressful week (including constant fire alarm tests!) meant more comfort food.  You thought I was kidding, didn't you?  I don't think I've had meatloaf in about 4 years, but that's what came to mind.  I don't like anything fancy with my meatloaf, so I made this basic recipe from Quaker.  I didn't measure anything, and I think I changed the proportions quite a bit (I only had about 3/4 lb meat, but probably used closer to the actual amounts of everything else that the recipe called for).  I also used tomato paste instead of sauce and added some minced garlic.  It's really good, especially with the roasted red potatoes that I made with it.  It has been a bit dry warmed up, but it was perfectly moist the night I made it.  I'm not sure what to do about that, but it's not bad enough to worry. 

I already miss the wheat berries.  The salad got so many compliments, and I had several people ask for the recipe (and MANY requests to explain wheat berries - "no, you don't harvest the flour").  Anyway, I gave some away, and I somewhat regret that because it only gave me enough for about 2 more servings.  I suppose I'll have to make more while I'm home...

No comments: