Saturday, November 1, 2008

Chickpea curry

I've become obsessed with Indian food lately, but I rarely get to eat it. In fact, I hadn't had any since Mom visited in September. So this week I decided to make a curry for the first time. I found a recipe for a chickpea and spinach curry and got to work. It's hard to pick out recipes for a cuisine you don't know much about because you can't tell what works well (if the spice ratio seems reasonable, etc.). It turned out ok, but not great. The ginger completely overwhelms the dish so that you can't taste the curry powder at all, so I'm sure it would have been better with different amounts of both. Garam masala would be a nice addition, too (and thanks to the Dekalb Farmers' Market, I now have some!). Next time I'll try a different recipe, but I had to start somewhere!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Logan's mom makes a chick pea curry dish that's pretty good - she learned it from a friend from India. The downside is there are no real measurements. But I can tell you the ingredients she uses and very approximate amounts (which she always encourages folks to modify).

1-2 T ginger, peeled and sliced
Cumin seeds (I've used cumin powder, 1 tsp.)
1 can chick peas (slightly mashed)
2-3 cloves minced garlic
1 bell pepper (optional)
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 to 1 c. celery, chopped (optional)
ground cumin (I used about 1 tsp)
garlic salt
tumeric (1 T - ish)
2 cans diced tomatoes with roasted garlic
garam masala (I used 1 tsp - but think that was too little)
1 can tomato sauce
chole spice (optional)
cilantro

Saute ginger and cumin seeds in 1 T of olive oil until fragrant. Remove ginger. Add remaining ingredients and simmer at least 15 minutes. Serve over brown or jasmine rice.

Katie said...

That sounds really good (and easy!). I'll have to give it a shot. I also got a book called "660 Curries" which, as you might guess, has a ton of curry recipes. I can't wait to try more, but I'm trying not to go crazy and get burned out on Indian food.